Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Star Wars Challenge Day 15

We're halfway through!  Today is "a scene that makes you sad/angry."

Well, one that I've had on my mind since looking ahead yesterday is when Palpatine creates the Empire.

wookieepedia
"So this is how liberty dies - with thunderous applause."

Palpatine is lying - he's been lying for a long time.  With one speech, he turns the Jedi, who had been giving their lives for the Republic, into enemies.  After working to gain support for years, he finally takes full control of the galaxy.
And everyone applauds him.

This makes me sad and angry.

Jedi seek to serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy. - The Jedi Code

Palpatine is doing the opposite - he's not trying to make the galaxy a better place, as Anakin thinks.  He takes it out of selfish desire for power.

Carefully planned for years, Palpatine's charade of righteousness was almost impossible to detect.  Would I have detected it had I lived in a galaxy far far away?  Not likely.  Which brings me to two points:

Try to not put people up on a pedestal.  No matter how great they seem, they are still human.  This is hard.  It's hard not to put a lot of faith in people, but when they fall and you can be left angry and confused.  This has been on my mind lately.

The other is we have to always seek the truth and try not to be swayed by feelings.  The truth is not always easy to find, but we have to look.

Now...I'm feeling pretty down.  Let's try to lighten the mood a bit, shall we?

Here's something some friends showed me last night (thanks guys!):


May the Lord be with you!

3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of Handel's 'Messiah', actually, when we sing, "Are we like sheep?" - LOVE the Lego video! Keep up the great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to not put people up on a pedestal. No matter how great they seem, they are still human. This is hard. It's hard not to put a lot of faith in people, but when they fall and you can be left angry and confused. - I love this! I really agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with that don;t put people on pedestal bit. :)

    ReplyDelete