Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Star Wars Challenge Day 11

Today's prompt is favorite battle!

...I haven't a clue what to write about.

In the last couple of years I have become interested in lightsabers, and I enjoy the parts where I can see the different styles.  But for me, Star Wars is really about the characters, and I've never been that into the battles.  Guess I'm missing the point of Star "Wars" huh?

Well, I just made a list of all the battles in Star Wars and I still don't know.  But here are a few thoughts.

TPM - Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan both use an acrobatic form of lightsaber combat in this battle, as is shown by Obi-Wan's flip at the beginning of the duel.  I so wish I could do those flips and long leaps.

AotC - Geonosis rescue
200 Jedi all get together to save three people.  That's really nice when you think about it.  But for the fighting, one part I really like is when Obi-Wan spins around his lightsaber, waves it across his body, and plunges it into a beast.  From some YouTube videos (check out banditcar's tutorials!) I was able to learn a few lightsaber spins, including that one, and seeing something from the movie that I can do is really cool.

RotS - Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Dooku
I'd like to watch this part again to see Dooku's use of a traditional form of lightsaber combat, but what I like about this part is Anakin tries to follow the Jedi Way but Palpatine manipulates him, Anakin won't leave Obi-Wan even though the mission should come first, and finally because Obi-Wan says "speciality".

RotS - Obi-Wan vs. Grievous
Mostly because of Obi-Wan's lines and expressions before and after the battle.  "Oh, I don't think so," and "So uncivilized."

RotS - Obi-Wan vs. Anakin
Too sad for me to enjoy that much, but this is probably one of the most epic battles in the saga.  The ending lines of "You were the chosen one," and "You were my brother, Anakin.  I loved you."  Those are just great.

RotJ - Battle over the Sarlacc pit
Arda likes a battle that doesn't have Obi-Wan?  This part is just so cool - Luke, Leia, and Lando execute a carefully planned rescue.  I love the moment when Luke is about to jump off put he hangs on, catches his lightsaber, and turns the situation around.  The heroes all work together really well and win the day.

Back to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul - toward the end, the three are separated by shields, which only open long enough for Qui-Gon to get through and battle Maul.  Obi-Wan can't get far before he is stopped.  He can't help his Master and Qui-Gon is stabbed right in front of him.  Shouldn't Obi-Wan have used Force Speed to get through the shields before they closed again?


...I take it back.  Have a great weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaah yes, I love the Pit of Carkoon battle in RotJ! Especially when Luke just flips off the edge and catches his lightsaber LIKE A BOSS and shows how badass he's become since the last movie.

    And sdflkjsdfa that video's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite battle is The Battle Geonosis because I love seeing all those jedi!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOSH- you find the best SW videos ever..... oh my gosh me and bro are going to die laughing..... xD xD xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two theories about Qui-Gon's final battle. One: Darth Maul reactivated the shields after Jinn got through, so he could fight the Jedi one at a time. Two: Qui-Gon reactivated the shields himself in order to protect his padawan. Perhaps he thought Obi-Wan wasn't ready to take on such an opponent? Or maybe Qui-Gon knew he'd die and wanted to make sure there would be someone trusted to take care of Anakin?

    I always get the impression that Qui-Gon is stronger in the Force than Obi-Wan. Maybe that's why Obi-Wan didn't get through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, thank you for the comment! Those are really interesting theories and possibilities I have never thought of before. I have always assumed that Maul activated them, but I like your idea of Qui-Gon wanting to keep Obi-Wan alive to take care of Anakin. Thank you for sharing, this will be fun to consider!

    ReplyDelete